When I was trying to find a way to create an Integrity VM, I had to do alot of research. It was difficult to find updated information and correct syntax for later builds of HP-UX and later versions of the VM software. Being the thoughtful and forward thinking internet citizen that I am, I figured I’d give back a little…
So, without further adieu, here is the steps necessary to create an HP-UX Integrity VM on HP-UX 11.31 using HPVM version 6.x
Create a virtual switch first
- hpvmnet -c -S <vswitchname> -n <lanID>
- The LanID references the numeric portion of the name. Run netstat -in to find yours
- Example: hpvmnet -c -S vswitch1 -n 10
- Boot up the switch by running: hpvmnet -b -S <vswitchname>
- Run hpvmnet to see a status
Now, create the virtual machine
- hpvmcreate -P <servername> -l <label or description> -O HPUX -a network:avio_lan::vswitch:<vswitchname>
- This creates the VM with a default network connection.
- hpvmmodify -P <servername> -a dvd:avio_stor::file:/path/to/HPUX1131.iso
- This will create a virtual DVD device connected to an iso for installation later. If you’re going to install from ignite or something else, dont worry about this part
- hpvmmodify -P <servername> -a disk:avio_stor::lv:/dev/vgname/rdevice
- This is adding storage for the VM to use. You could also add a disk image file instead of a real logical volume if you wanted
- To create a disk image file, run something like hpvmdevmgmt -A -S 10G /path/to/vmdir/diskimage.fd
- Your VM is now created! You can run hpvmstart -P <vmname> to boot the VM up
- If you need to install via an iso, just connect to the console by using hpvmconsole -P <vmname> and then selecting boot to file from the boot menu, and then selecting removable media. Or, just wait and it should boot automatically if you added the DVD device.
- hpvmstart, hpvmstatus, hpvmstop are useful commands to manage your VMs
Pingback: Creating an HP Integrity Virtual Machine on HP-UX 11.31 | VirtIRL
Can you offer some tips on using HP integrity VMs with a SAN? Ours is a netapp appliance.